The Last Boat

The translation has been googled

By Rabindranath Tagore

At the close of the day, in the land of sleep, a veiled shadow

Makes me forget, forget my life.

On the other bank, a golden shore edges the gloaming,

Which like an enchantress disrupts my work.

The wayfarers who head back after completing their task,

Do not look back at the trail they leave behind.

Like a receding tide, intoxicated, I am drawn away from home.

The dusk sets in as the day leaves.

Please come, o ferryman, one

Who can row me across on the last

Ferry at the end of the day.

In the dusk, a few ferries ebb with the tide

To the other side.

How will I recognise the ferryman among the other ones

Waiting at the arrival to take me to my destination?

Downhill, by the thick vegetation at the bank,

The shade moves like a shadow.

Where is the ferryman who is willing to halt

When I call out?

O come,

The one who will row me

At the close of the day in the last ferry.

Those who were returning home have gone back.

Those who headed for the riverside have reached the banks.

The dusk calls out to one

Who is neither at home nor at the riverbank, but stuck mid-way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog