THE MASTER [By Rabindranath Tagore]

 












I am, today, Kanai Master;

The student is my kitten.

(I just show him the stick, Mom,

I promise, he never gets beaten.)

Everyday he arrives late,

He pays me no attention,

He lifts his leg and yawns,

Much as I exhort, “Listen!”

 

Day in, and day out he plays

Away from studies he stays.

I say, “A E I O U”

He only says, “Miu, miu!”

 

First Part pages open,

Lessons I try to imbue –

“Never you steal any food;

Like Gopal, be good and true!”

Nothing I say works any,

Nothing goes through those ears…

The moment he sees a fish

Every lesson disappears

 

If ever flies in a sparrow

He shoots out like an arrow.

I stick to, “A E I O U”

The rogue just says, “Miu, miu!”

 

I tell him again and again

“Study time means one studies.

Once you finish your lessons,

go ahead, play with your buddies.”

He pulls an innocent face,

He peeks at me askew

His expression seems to say,

“Yes, yes, I got you.”

 

The moment he finds a chance

He vanishes without a glance.

I say, “A E I O U”

He only says, “Miu, miu!”

 

মাস্টারবাবু (mastarbabu)

 

আমি আজ কানাই মাস্টার,

 

     পোড়ো মোর বেড়ালছানাটি

 

আমি ওকে মারি নে মা, বেত,

 

     মিছিমিছি বসি নিয়ে কাঠি

 

রোজ রোজ দেরি করে আসে,

 

     পড়াতে দেয় না তো মন,

 

ডান পা তুলিয়ে তোলে হাই

 

     যত আমি বলি "শোন্ শোন্'

 

দিনরাত খেলা খেলা খেলা,

 

     লেখায় পড়ায় ভারি হেলা

 

আমি বলি " ',

 

     কেবল বলে "মিয়োঁ মিয়োঁ'

 

প্রথম  ভাগের পাতা খুলে

 

       আমি ওরে বোঝাই মা, কত--

 

  চুরি করে খাস নে কখনো,

 

       ভালো হোস গোপালের মতো

 

  যত বলি সব হয় মিছে,

 

       কথা যদি একটিও শোনে--

 

  মাছ যদি দেখেছে কোথাও

 

       কিছুই থাকে না আর মনে

 

  চড়াই পাখির দেখা পেলে

 

       ছুটে যায় সব পড়া ফেলে

 

  যত বলি " ',

 

       দুষ্টুমি 'রে বলে "মিয়োঁ'

 

  আমি ওরে বলি বার বার,

 

       "পড়ার সময় তুমি পোড়ো--

 

  তার পরে ছুটি হয়ে গেলে

 

       খেলার সময় খেলা কোরো'

 

  ভালোমানুষের মতো থাকে,

 

       আড়ে আড়ে চায় মুখপানে,

 

  এম্নি সে ভান করে যেন

 

       যা বলি বুঝেছে তার মানে

 

  একটু সুযোগ বোঝে যেই

 

       কোথা যায় আর দেখা নেই

 

  আমি বলি " ',

 

       কেবল বলে "মিয়োঁ মিয়োঁ'

 

Pictures: Pixabay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog