Bats in the Halloween belfry

When dusk descends, our neighbours light lamps and incense and chant mantras. They say that it’s to cleanse the negative energy that they think accompanies the nightly darkness. I illumine diyas only during Diwali. I’ve heard from some people that the goddesses Durga, Lakshmi and Saraswati reside in the lamp. Love and devotion are expressed to gods/ God through evening aarti [worship with lights], I’ve been told.  My neighbours perform the same in the morning as well. There may be many reasons for performing aarti in the evening which I’m not aware of but am interested to know.

I am an irreligious person and an agnostic who talks to cats in the morning and is curious about bats when evening sets in. These sweet nocturnal birds [err…sorry…mammals] flutter to our home. Please note that I’m aware of the counterargument that bats may be carriers of diseases. If I didn’t live in a housing society, I may have built a bat nursery in my backyard.

https://www.birdwatching-bliss.com/bird-diseases.html: ‘Bird diseases at feeders- How to prevent them’

On occasion, they eat the leftover fruits for day birds from our interior window sill. I feel at peace when they contentedly have their breakfast here as the sun sets, then fly away. I’m glad that there may be some old buildings and tree hollows nearby where they can repose during the day.

Bats pollinate hundreds of plants which makes them bloom with colourful flowers. They can devour 1200 mosquitoes in a minute. Those in my building who think I’m weird and insulting ‘Indian culture’ for loving bats instead of doing aarti at the same time do not know many zoological facts about them. They control the mosquito population which also eliminates the variety of them which cause malaria and other vector-related ailments. Would we prefer to fume more pesticides to control the mosquito population instead?

It’s considered as earning virtue quickly by many if you feed pigeons but not dark-feathered beings like ravens, crows and bats. Why? I love giving pigeons grains to eat, some do the same not because they adore the birds but because they think they’re piling up on good karma. Please stop thinking I’m as mad as a bat as I love them.

I perceive the food chain as cruel but it exists. I love India though I do discuss its demerits as well. Let’s support a nation where the freedom to follow any religion of your choice or not to be into one exists.

Bats have been associated with Halloween for centuries now. This tradition may be traced back to the Celtic festival, Samhain. During this time of the year, the Celts would light bonfires which lured bugs that consequently attracted bats. When the Scots and Irish made the USA their home, they saw swarms of bats during October and November. Many of these were migrating to warmer climates in the south.

 

The Little Brown Bat

  by: Edith Matilda Thomas (1854-1925)

Quoth the little brown bat: "I rise with the owl--

Wisest and best of the feathered fowl;

Let other folks rise, if they will, with the lark,

And be early and bright--I am early and dark!"

 

Quoth the little brown bat: "I'm awake and up,

When the night-moth sips from the lily's white cup;

While the firefly lanterns are searching the sky,

I am glancing about, with fiery eye!"

 

Quoth the little brown bat: "The night has its noon

As well as its day--and I'm friends with the moon.

Many a secret she tells me alone,

Which never a bird or a bee has known!"

 

Quoth the little brown bat: "There is house-room for me,

When the winter comes, in some hollow tree;

Or under barn eaves, near the fragrant hay,

I sleep the dull winter hours away."

#savebatsfromextinction, #bats, #batsofinstagram, #batsbatsbats, #batsarecool, #batsarecute, #batsy, #batsarebeautiful, #babybats, #batsofhalloween, #fruitbats, #cutebats, #foodchain, #ecologicalbalance, #environmentalprotection, #ecology, #controllingmosquitoesnaturally, #pollinatinganimalsandbirds, #environmentallyfriendly, #environmentalist, #environmentalawareness, #autumnmammals, #nocturnalmammals, #pollination, #pollinators, #pollinationflowers, #pollinationecology, #pollinationbiology, #flowersinbloom, #beautifulflowers

https://pixabay.com/illustrations/halloween-bat-spooky-cute-moon-7533670/: Image by Monika from Pixabay 

https://pixabay.com/illustrations/halloween-case-haunted-horror-7484855/: Image by Josep Monter Martinez from Pixabay 

https://pixabay.com/photos/flying-dogs-bat-tropical-bat-2237209/: Image by Simon Berstecher from Pixabay 

https://pixabay.com/photos/witch-bats-full-moon-night-flying-7510296/: Image by Vicki Hamilton from Pixabay 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog