Snail Spotting

May this go into my CV as one of my hobbies? Malacology is the study of molluscs. I don’t have the zoological knowledge of this profession. However, snails- the soft bodied shy invertebrates make my heart softer. Their placid, calm and relaxed life soothes me in this world of endless Instagram scrolling of people posting carefully curated aspects of their life which portray them in a glamorous and successful avatar as per the neurotypical societal demands of this world.

What if I said on a date or in a job interview that I love to not only observe but also talk to snails? Snails don’t have ears, so I speak to their hearts. I’d love to view the horror and scorn on the faces of the people when I tell job recruiters and dates that. We are expected to drown our individuality in the pressure to be like everybody else. Friends may also find this weird, laugh and say that there are better pastimes like cooking, reading, watching Netflix, etc.

I love to spot the first snail of the monsoon season. They hibernate during dry weather and after a spell of rain come out. I enjoy gazing at adult snails with their tiny babies in tow. The snails I have fed in our building complex are sweet and low maintenance pets. They chew gently on shredded cucumbers, carrots, lettuce and tomatoes. They nibble gently from my hand. They are grateful; not arrogant, pretentious, vindictive, insulting and bullying like many humans are.  

Sometimes I wish I could have been a snail which retreated into the soil or burrows below to avoid the hot weather. As snails cover themselves in dry mucous, they prevent themselves from losing moisture during dry climates. They may live from two years to over a decade, have poor eyesight and will not be able to hear me when I call their names, but they have a very strong sense of smell. So, they’ll welcome me when I feed them.

#snailspotting, #feedingsnails, #celebrateneurodivergence, #neurodivergencepride, #snailsofinstagram, #snailshell, #snailhouse, #malacology, #monsoonsnails

Picture: Pixabay

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog