Seeing Seas

Part 1

I spent my early childhood in Port Moresby which was perched on the Gulf of Papua on the southwest Pacific Ocean. This beautiful tropical country hovers between the South Pacific Ocean and the Coral Sea.

The water was clean and you could see the corals and starfish through it. It was a world of vibrant contrasting colours down below.

 On weekends, we’d visit Ela Beach/ [Turtle Beach] in the Papuan language. I fondly recall running on its soft white sand but my feet never feeling a tinge of heat. The green hills rose from the shore, I’d rush up and down them.

 The fishing villages were near the coast, the fish market was like seventh heaven to my Bengali parents who couldn’t do without fish. Mother would cook Papuan sea food in Bengali style. There coconuts were also sold. Father loved ones with water and always shook them close to his ear to listen to how much juice was shelled inside.

From the plane window, I could see the gentle blue surf laden Pacific waters lash the tranquil sunny coasts of the country. It was a peaceful ocean from an aerial view. However, it covered the Ring of Fire where deadly volcanoes lurked beneath.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog