Happy Feet!

One of my earliest memories is dancing for hours with the accompaniment of my favourite children’s songs. It was a lovely exercise and it cheered my soul.

When we relocated to India, our house was too cluttered with furniture to even have walking space. I also needed the beat of the music to do dance moves. The tape recorder was rarely played as we were to get good grades to top the class. My mother and grandparents refused to teach me to dance as it was believed that ‘good women no matter how talented dancers they may be better quit dancing after marriage’.

Later a religious leader would self-righteously preach at a place which I have left, “Dancing! Do you know how bad it is? I know a friend who dances daily. I gave him sermons to stop and he is now obeying.”

As a teenager, I was dancing at a class party. A cool girl told me, “What are you doing? Are you trying to dance? Dance is to make you look sexy, trendy and cool, just look at yourself!”

After others told me that I dance clumsily and one even told me that nobody danced worse than me so I shouldn’t dance anywhere ever, especially when elite, sexy and fashionable people were dancing, I stopped dancing. I never wanted to be sexy or high-society, I’m happy being cute and simple instead, but at that time I was intimidated.

Last night, I started dancing again. The dance move I like the most is freestyle with Rabindrasangeet. I love the bard’s songs. I haven’t learnt Rabindra Nitya. This is good indoor exercise and enlivens me, so I do it.

#rabindranitya, #rabindrasangeet, #indiandance, #aerobics, #freestyledance, #dance, #dancer, #dancephotography, #dancelover, #dancelife, #dancelove, #danceindia, #dancemusic, #dancefloor, #dancefitness, #dancechoreography, #dancedancedance, #danceworld, #dancepractice, #dancelovers, #dancelifestyle, #dancemoves, #danceislife, #dancerecital, #danceindiadance, #danceforlife, #danceworkout, #dancingsoul, #dancing, #dancinginthedark

https://pixabay.com/illustrations/chandigarh-india-rajasthani-dance-6165397/

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog