Privilege and denial

There is currently much talk on how it is a capitalistic trend to demarcate how important and praiseworthy a person is in society by her/ his productivity. When the pandemic started, there seemed to be a conscious and subconscious competition online on how spiritual and happy people are and how productive they are being at home. Those who were having a tough time were often shamed as ungrateful, unenlightened and ordered to count their blessings.

I did a lot of work during this time but that’s because Mashi was there to do all household chores for me. Some people were having a bad time with job losses, deaths, domestic violence, etc. They couldn’t be as productive and like many other super successful people on social media learn a new skill, make their business boom, start an entrepreneurship etc. Some posts supported them psychologically emphasizing that this is a pandemic, many people are trying to survive it, this is no productivity contest.

I know that all the people posting about the new things they have done and how much work they have carried out aren’t intentionally bragging. Many of them were simply uploading on what was going on in their lives but were unfairly judged for the same. It is true though that privileged people are often not aware of their privilege and frequently judge others who aren’t as productive as them. When asked if they would be as professionally and socially successful had they been in an underprivileged person’s position, they sometimes arrogantly rattle off, “Had I been in her/ his place, I am sure that I would still have been as successful. Some people are just lazy, weak and incapable.” They haven’t been in their place, so they should stop making grandiose prophecies and belittling people whom they consider unfit to be on par with them.

#pandemic, #privilege, #Covid, #competition, #productivity, #socialstatus, #grandiosity, #happiness, #spirituality, #toxicpositivity

https://pixabay.com/photos/money-coin-investment-business-2724241/: Picture Courtesy: https://pixabay.com/photos/money-coin-investment-business-2724241/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog