Do not compare

Part 5

My English language teacher would read the compositions I wrote to the class and praise me. Then she would take a look at the essay that my classmate who had a learning disability had penned. She’d shout that she had once again scored 1.5 out of 10 in it and throw the exercise book at her. My Italian pen pal Stefano Mino recounts similar sadistic teachers during his school days.

When it came to art and craft, I couldn’t do even the basics. I have a motor skill disability. To knit well, one needs fine control over the muscles. I was scolded and insulted so harshly on the day I first tried to knit, I never tried to learn it again in my lifetime.

Benudhar Majhi opines, “Nobody should be compared with anyone. People have different capabilities to learn and understand things. This could make them feel insecure and under-confident. Instead, we should motivate them to improve and learn better.”

Raisahab Nana Kunwar who agrees with Benu adds, "No such comparison must be made either in front of the student or in private. It is assumed that this will work as a booster but it acts oppositely. It can even be tantamount to shaming. This method kills confidence. I would rather try to find out the reasons why one is low in performance, academic or any other. Take the child in confidence and talk to her/him. Tactfully handle people and the situation."

#donotcompare, #encouragedontdiscourage, #discouragement, #discourager, #discouragedlearner, #discouragementisreal, #discouragedtoencouraged, #discouragementwillnotwin, #discouragedheart, #discouragementhappens, #encourage, #encouragement, #wordsofencouragement, #encourageothers, #encourager, #encourageoneanother, #encouragements, #encouragesomeone, #encouragers, #encourageher, #encouragewave, #encouragekids, #encouragestudents, #encouragechildren, #encourageandempower

https://pixabay.com/photos/wool-cat-s-cradle-multicoloured-1240181/

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog