Reel romance sans physical intimacy

A dilemma faced by many filmmakers and writers is how to show lovemaking scenes while shooting when the pandemic isn’t over as yet. I often hear that actors are shooting after having been fully vaccinated. Nevertheless, that isn’t a 100% shield against contracting Covid. My family physician got the disease after two shots, though it was a milder form.

Actors shoot scenes without masks as most film plots are set in a world free from a pandemic. I am currently watching a Netflix series that was filmed during the pandemic. Till now it has no lovemaking scenes. I completely understand why actors don’t want to take the risk of passionately kissing on screen now. That’s something best avoided for the time being besides making the film cast and crew wear masks when the camera isn’t rolling, hand washing and sanitizing the place.

Has the romance of this series been compromised? Not at all. It’s been etched out with subtlety and amazing artistry. They show contemporary courtship, dating and marital love down various generations without any steamy scenes. The writer has worked hard to develop and sustain the romantic equation between characters through dialogues. The actors have emoted very beautifully, never have been overt.

I am NOT against sex scenes in films. Sometimes they may be needed. I dislike moral policing and mindless censorship. However, I feel that sometimes sex scenes are put in as bland fillers in the cost of dialogues and other cinematic devices to build romance. That often depletes the artistic quotient of the movie.

#filmingduringpandemic, #romanceinfilms, #nopassionatescenes,  #lovemakingmovies, #romanticfilms, #romancewriter, #romancefiction, #lovestory, #lovedowngenerations, #lovers, #notomoralpolicing, #moderncourtship, #Netflix, #artisticromance, #creativityinfilms, #love, #romance

These pictures are from Pixabay, NOT from the series I’ve discussed.

https://pixabay.com/photos/love-story-valentine-s-day-book-3060241/: Image by Jess Bailey from Pixabay 

https://pixabay.com/photos/candles-heart-candlelight-1645551/: Image by klimkin from Pixabay 

https://pixabay.com/photos/valentine-valentines-day-pink-1953964/: Image by Terri Cnudde from Pixabay 

https://pixabay.com/photos/heart-hands-silhouettes-sunset-692312/: Image by Free-Photos from Pixabay 

https://pixabay.com/vectors/hearts-letter-envelope-love-5947464/: Image by Mediamodifier from Pixabay 

https://pixabay.com/photos/valentine-gifts-flat-lay-hearts-5954177/: Image by wichai bopatay from Pixabay 

https://pixabay.com/vectors/electrocardiogram-blood-pressure-ekg-2858693/: Image by Gordon Johnson from Pixabay 

https://pixabay.com/vectors/lovebirds-birds-love-romance-4167449/: Image by Gordon Johnson from Pixabay 

https://pixabay.com/vectors/pattern-hearts-romantic-background-4008915/: Image by Marta Simon from Pixabay 

https://pixabay.com/photos/valentine-s-day-valentinecookies-3984154/: You can use the following text:Image by Jill Wellington from Pixabay 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog